DAY BY DAY PROGRAM
Sketch Books: dance and music
The study concentrates a problem and its solution in a limited time or space. Associating technical prowess, instrumental virtuosity, and compositional genius, the study is found in music like in painting, in architecture like in dance.
These studies of speed or of sound, technological or acoustic, depend on the limits of software or of the musician. From the Sequenza by Berio as a sort of prelude to the Presto Final of the Sonata for violin by Bartók, this first sketch book describes a trajectory in the stylization of dance.
Three sections linked together. Length 70 minutes without intermission.
- Luciano Berio Sequenza VI for viola (8')
- Thomas Hauert Parallallemande * section I (trumpet recorded on a band), French Premiere
- Chrysa Parkinson Parallallemande * section II (violin recorded on a band) (10') French Premiere
- Igor Stravinsky Three works for clarinet (6')
- Luis Naon Caprice 3 and 4, diptych for bass clarinet and electronics, commissioned by IRCAM-Centre Pompidou, World Premiere (8')
- Luis Naon Caprice 1 and 2, diptych for violin and electronics, commissioned by IRCAM-Centre Pompidou, World Premiere (8')
- Thomas Hauert & Chrysa Parkinson Parallallemande * section III (5') French Premiere
- Stefano Gervasoni Whisper Not - three studies for viola and electronics, Étude d'altitude, Étude de solitude, Étude de similitude, commissioned by the SO.GE.DA. for the Printemps des Arts de Monte-Carlo (7')
- György Ligeti Sonata for viola - 4e movement
- Béla Bartók Sonata for violin - Presto (6')
- J.S. Bach Partita II BWV 1004 - Allemande (5')
Parallallemande *, French Premiere
Concept & Stage Direction Thomas Hauert. By and Featuring Chrysa Parkinson & Thomas Hauert. Music J.S. Bach, Allemande from the Partita ll, BWV 1004.
Thomas Hauert combined the performances of Alison Balsom (trumpet) and Antal Szalai (violin) to obtain an original band. Lighting Design Jan Van Gijsel.
Production Zoo. With the support of the Gouvernement flamand, de la Vlaamse Gemeenschapscommissie and de Pro Helvetia - Fondation suisse pour la culture. With the support of SACD as a part of its musical cultural outreach activities.
Alain Billard, clarinet | Laurent Korcia, violin | Geneviève Strosser, viola | IRCAM Computer Music Production Manuel Poletti, Thomas Goepfer
Co-organized by IRCAM and Les Spectacles vivants-Centre Pompidou. With the support of Sacem.
Photo: © Bart Grietens
Thursday, June 14, 9pm / Centre Pompidou, Grande salle